Thursday, July 09, 2020

The Big Zig and the Cyclist Advantage

With the Elm Street bridge closed, I would have to begin my trip to work by going three miles in the opposite direction, then go laterally to the west for another three miles, then cut south. Route 16 isn't a great bike road, but I could veer left onto Pine River Road for another threeish miles away from my destination, to pick up Elm Street very close to the bridge. It's a big zig just to cover about a quarter of a mile toward Wolfeboro.

Look at the line of Route 28 on the map. Then check out how every other road combination diverges from it. This map doesn't show some trail and dirt road connections, but they don't help much.

With this in mind, I followed the silence toward the bridge this morning, in case the workers hadn't started for the day. And they hadn't.

Look at that perfect bike-sized gap. Maybe the crew will start late every morning out of deference to the residents near the bridge. I had already planned to check on the way home. At the end of the day I don't come through before about 6:30 in the evening. As long as the bridge remains passable, I can probably sneak through, unless a resentful motorist drops a dime on me. I try not to attract attention.

I don't even feel guilty.

3 comments:

ktache said...

Nice.
Multi mile diversions for the motorists are annoying and eat a bit of time, much more difficult for cyclists and very much so for the pedestrian.
Here in the UK, we get ROAD CLOSED signs, which for most of the time only really apply to motor vehicles and provision has often already been made for pedestrian use.
There is always the option of chatting to a member of the workcrew, they might be understanding.

John said...

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission in my experience. =)

Grego said...

"I followed the silence"; your adept phrasing made me pause and consider. Thank you... and don't feel guilty, just be careful.