Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What can I say?

The long lapses between posts don't indicate a lack of thought, they are the result of too many thoughts, too close together. Strangely for this time of year, when nature slumps toward hibernation, I have trouble finding time to sort and edit what occurs to me.

The weather has been erratic even by New England standards. The storm on the day before Thanksgiving brought eight or ten inches to the neighborhood. That stopped me from riding. By Monday the roads were clear, so I got back out. I still haven't done a commute. Friday and Saturday look good. Sunday the cellist and I have to do automotive maneuvers to get her car inspected and serviced before winter might actually arrive.

When I lived for ski season I would go insane when winter did not cooperate with my need to have deep snow in the woods. Since I refuse to let an unrequited desire drive me crazy I got myself over that fixation in a couple of seasons. Unfortunately, in a specialty shop you have to deal with some people who do not control their addictions well. You might think they'd be a great source of revenue, but they can actually be a little psychotic. They can also be highly annoying when they need endless therapy. Seems like the climate may be either killing them off or crushing some sense into them, though. I haven't heard a lot of chirpy bullshit about when and how much it's going to snow. Maybe they've just learned to keep it away from me. Either way, problem solved.

No doubt the season has affected my own mental processes. I take a strange pleasure in the last dark dip at the year's close. Sometimes that pleasure is hard to discern. It's best when I get the chance to contemplate it quietly without a bunch of people trying to overcompensate for what they perceive as the gloom.

5 comments:

Steve A said...

Funny you should mention skiing. I've been pondering a post based on downhill skiing and its relevance to operating a bike in traffic. In my planned post, I will try to avoid quoting the snowboarder bumper sticker I recall so vividly...

cafiend said...

Now I want to know what the bumper sticker said.

One experience can enhance another one any time you can draw the connection. I've compared sight reading music to riding single track.

On the cross-country trails I have occasionally caught myself acting like the kind of driver I hate: I follow closely and pass in tight places. If I'm trying to cram in a few kilometers on a tight schedule I can be impatient. Fortunately for everyone's peace of mind I don't really get to ski much anymore. And lift service was never my thing. i only did it for a couple of years to develop a few Telemark skills so I could ski steeper wooded slopes away from all trails that might attract annoying motorheads.

Matt Boulanger said...

I have one of those "snow addicts" in my circles. Can't shut up about it. Look, buddy: I've had 50-day seasons and years I didn't ski at all, and not once has obsessing over it led the weather to change its course.

cafiend said...

I know, right?

The Donut Guy said...

"Chirpy bullshit"........I like that phrase- I think I'm gonna use that ;-)