Thursday, November 08, 2012

I'd rather be drawing (or writing)

Steve A's pensive post on DFW Point to Point this morning got me thinking about all that goes into running a civilized country with a citizen-involved government. Not that it's hard to get me going in that direction. It's been my preoccupation for my entire adult life.

When I'm not a surly bike mechanic and sport shop grunt I draw cartoons. Whatever hopes I had for a livelihood in that realm have largely faded, but many influential creators have lived in relative poverty and obscurity. If you want something drawn or written, you have to sit down and do it. All the rest of the crap, the day job, the chores, are just what you do to clear the path to the desk and buy some time to sit at it.

The bike business lets me work in an area where any gains are good. If everyone rode a bike the world would simply be a better place. That's not to say the bike industry is the best judge of what will promote all the best aspects of the activity. Far from it. But someone has to interpret the crap for customers and help them keep their machines in good working order. I don't mind putting in some time there.

So...social issues.
There's no shortage of them.
He's not getting any better. Should we put on another leech?


I'm sorry, but due to the state of the economy I'm going to have to let you go.
 
And so on.

I post them at The Back of Class. It may go weeks or months without an update. Then I might have a good few days and dump a bunch in all at once.

2 comments:

RANTWICK said...

Hey, thanks for posting those here. I never go there. I may start!

Steve A said...

Finally, a good use for French fries!