Monday, December 17, 2007

Beaten to death with a vibraphone

With no time to go outside, despite the sunny day and fresh powder snow, I cut 40 minutes into the schedule to ride the rollers again.

Balancing as if magically, a ride on rollers has the element of the unexpected to help defeat the monotony of mere trainer riding. While it would not have been my first choice for a day like today, it was better than nothing to try to stimulate blood flow to the brain.

My cassette collection dwindles as the dried-out tapes disintegrate in various ways, so I have fewer options to stick in the old Walkman hanging above the rollers in the basement. I chose a selection from Tim Weisberg.

Scornfully dismissed as "dentist office music" by one young listener, this album does sound light, fluffy and unchallenging. However, when you try to pedal at its speed you find that the heartless bastards are affably dragging you up to 150 rpm or more with their mellow jazz combo.

Judging by the photos on the jacket and liner of "Night Rider" and "Listen to the City," Weisberg was a cyclist in the 1970s. Wasn't everyone?

Time to dredge out some old vinyl and remake my best riding tapes, as well as collecting good cadences from all eras in whatever media I find them. I'd rather play outside, but it's nice to have options for when I can't.

2 comments:

Il Bruce said...

Got one of these at Christmas.

http://www.ion-audio.com/ionttusb10

Nice for ripping vy-nul to mp3. Perked up the iPod some for trainer sessions.

Ciao,

il Bruce

cafiend said...

Yeah, I seriously need to update my audio capabilities. Fortunately I was talking to a friend last night who is working on the same thing and has a little more time to dink with it. Also he does computer stuff for a living. I'm hopeful for a little trickle-down technological benefit.