Monday, April 14, 2008

A Benefit of Wrenching

Other people's full suspension bikes are like other people's kids. If they're behaving well it's fun to play with them, but it's great to give them back and let someone else worry about all the boring and annoying details of their lives.

As a mechanic, I get to test ride almost every bike that comes through. After working on someone's dualie I can bounce it around the back parking lot or shoot a few laps around my little obstacle course, and that's enough for me.

I didn't quit mountain biking because I didn't like my mountain bike. I quit mountain biking because I don't really like mountain biking. A little goes a long way anymore. But someone else's modern technological marvel is fun for a brief diversion. Sometimes very fun.

No comments: