Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sunny with cream cheese

Went for another fixed gear ride yesterday under sunny skies, with milder breezes than the day before. I should have chosen the fixie with fenders, because a high around 40 sent meltwater streams across the roadway in places. It wasn't bad. I just hate brining the Traveler's Check.

After I got home I was doing some chores around the yard when I noticed that the snow had the perfect skating and turning surface we refer to as cream cheese. The snowpack was basically firm, with a very cooperative top layer. Too bad I had to move on to other important tasks.

Windblown debris covers the decaying snow. The skiing wouldn't have taken me far. I could see myself hooking a tip on some piece of crap in the beech glades or the logged areas up the back mountain. For the moment it seems wiser to look toward cycling season.

No comments: